My Wicked Problem Project unfortunately did not get implemented as planned, largely due to the amount of time left to do so. I did (or thought I did) all the background work on my end to get it set up (including uploading the document, changing the formatting (MS Word to Google docs does create some formatting differences) and setting up time in the computer lab to show my team members through the process of creating accounts and editing the document for the first time. However, we ran into some major road blocks, the most major of that being that the log in/create your own account portion of Google docs is blocked at my school. (Alternate email sources other than Groupwise are currently blocked.)
Next year, it is my plan to ask for this to be unblocked for teachers (and perhaps for students) so that we can implement this more readily. It will also be crucial since our team planning time has been taken away this year due to budget cuts.
Due to the fact that I was not able to fully implement my project, the greatest success I had was the enthusiasm of the people I was planning to share this with. They were very excited to streamline a process that we already complete, and allow everyone to take a more active role in the editing process.
I think that once I work out the kinks of the blocked content, I will be able to find these successes easy to come by (with guidance and proper training of the people using it).
I would approach this project differently next time by trying the technology both at home and at school before I plan to implement it with others. So often, different programs and settings do not allow for the same things to happen in both locations. It many times takes days, even weeks to get all the necessary “blocked” portions unblocked. It will also be different when I go to a Mac computer next year, having been a PC user before. This might make the transition easier however, since Google docs is online and there is no difference between the Mac and PC interface. I definitely learned the age old technology lesson of “try it before you need it”. Others should abide by this always!
I will definitely try to do this project again next year. Not only will I try to use Google docs for team agendas, but I plan to use it with my curriculum partner (the other 6th grade science teacher) to revise lesson plans and create materials for students, rather than emailing different versions back and forth.